It’s time for prom dress shopping! Mums and daughters may already be prommed out in that seatch for ‘the dress’ and there are still four months to go before the big night!
Planning ahead for your shopping trip can help make it a fantastic shopping experience. So here’s some top tips which should hopefully help reduce the stress levels for both of you!
Prom dress shopping – top tips
- Set your budget before you go shopping. Agree between you so that there are no surprises and everyone knows the limits. Some shops now offer payment plans to help spread the cost of buying a prom dress. Prices can vary for prom dresses from £50 to over £500 but the average price is £200 – £300.
- Some shops – mainly the independent boutiques like Fab Frocks – will keep a prom log to record which dresses they have sold to each school. It has become so important for prom girls to have a dress that no-one else will have at their school.
- Be wary of buying a dress direct from abroad. We have had so many people come into our boutique with horror stories about not getting their dress. Some have received a dress that looks nothing like the photograph they ordered it from. What should have been a cheap buy ends up costing more! If you need to buy online, many reputable UK-based special occasion boutiques now have online shopping facilities.
- Most prom dresses will need altering in some way. Altering the length, straps and area around the bust is quite common. You should be able to find an alteration service through the shop you buy your dress from, online or many drycleaners offer this service. It is wise to allow at least two weeks for any alterations to be done.
- Don’t worry about sizing. You will find that prom dresses are not sized up like normal, every day dresses or clothing. It is very common to go up one or even two sizes, the most important thing is that the dress fits well and not what size it is.
- When you’ve found the dress, stop looking! Be happy that you have said ‘yes to the dress’ and both relax knowing you’re all set for prom night.